Sunday, February 18, 2007

Projects, projects, projects...

Are you like me? You want to do so much that nothing really gets done until completion? I want to finish the old, but the latest and greatest is just tempting me.

My first project to actually graduate away from this is "GameLib" (yes, I'll probably end up uploading it a year later, but I'm proud, it's a code base that works). But it's supporting applications could use a bit of work, sadly enough. On the bright side, it's a project, it's over a year old :).

Last month I had to bury "AfterLife", a little story that I was working on. Sort of sad, really. I really wanted to evolve it, to develop it. However, the social structure that I had to enforce for the scenario to work, sort of worked against the scenario. Also, the characters needed quite a bit more development. And the story had no point.

Next, is "Metaphysics". The characters are much better defined. I still have to introduce myself to them; but I know who they are, how they are related to each other. This project, opposed to the previous, has much greater focus on relations among characters rather than a complex underlying world, a world that I wanted to live in, but my mind never went. "Metaphysics", being much simpler, is much easier to grasp, for me to enter the world, it's a story at my level. Various sketches were done; and for a personal project, it's advancing quite smoothly. I will post the first chapter once it's ready; and the sketches will wait until the relevant portions of the storyline is determined -- which is what I fear.

"AfterLife" also suffered from a very bland story-line. Nothing happened after a dozen pages of text. Characters were introduced, things happened, but all in all, no one ended up needing to save the world, there was no suspense. It's as though I documented Mr. Joe Average perfectly normal life (well, as normal as possible given the circumstances in the story). Also, after a certain while, the story just "ended" -- what was I trying to say; where was this going?

"Metaphysics" might be much better defined, but it really lacks in the story department. I'm working from the top-down, and am planning playing with the relations between groups of characters to cause chaos. However, who knows how that will pan out. Will it even work? Will the reader be interested? Will this sound like some stories where the author seems to be inventing things in order to make the story progress within practically every chapter? I hope this is a success.

The other project is my city in SimCity -- this is an easy project. Yet, I always tend to destroy my cities. Again, a bit of perseverence is key. There is a large demand for residential, however the residential zones haven't completely built up, or are complaining about transportation woes. From experience, I can expand the city 10-fold it's size, but still have transportation problems; hence time to attack the heart of the problem, and get those sims from point A to point B.

No comments:

Post a Comment