Saturday, July 17, 2010

iPhone 4 Ranting

<rant>

Note: as usual - no research, just a personal opinion.  I like the opinions page in newspapers by the way!  If there's a massive flaw in what's said below; just leave a comment.

So today; we have the results.  Owners of the first batch of the devices (as per the Apple standard, there's a problem with them) can easily get a full refund, or get a free case.  Which, I believe, to be a good result.

For those complaining about the delivery:  if they were to admit fault in the product, they'd probably open themselves to more trouble than it's worth.  The delivery ensures people get a working device or a refund (good for the customer) while minimizing the impact of the negative consequences due to the device malfunctioning (good for Apple).  It's win-win if it all plays through as expected (unless if some die-hard person/fanatic desperately wants the device to work without a case and survive a death-grip: where the death-grip hasn't been replicated by everyone).

So... now, what's more interesting than the actual response from Apple?  the comments on various forums.  I'll classify them into the following categories:
- Emotional: I don't know how I could get emotional over an Apple product.  Some are infatuated, some are angry.  It's a device - if I want to play with my emotions, give me a good story!
- Quick Point: Some use it as a bargaining chip to advocate the Android platform / open source / etc.  Of course, that platform hasn't been without it's own issues - and certain vendors do lock it down.  Shouldn't people just walk into a store, try out the machines, and see which one best matches how they expect to use it?  And if it doesn't work - return it?  In the store of some wireless provider, I'd rather muck with menus/devices rather than compare feature-sets.  Yes - some have a lot of features; but when accidentally pressing other buttons is possible, it gets annoying.  Feature-sets and statistics can be equally rigged I believe.
- Realists:  Actually work out the numbers of the statistics thrown out at the event and question their validity.  The result is that things probably aren't as rosy as the statistics intuitively say.

There might have more; but that's enough for now.

I'm waiting until the dust settles until even considering that device.  Actually, I'm more interested in an iPad.

On a side-note: people completely driven by emotion scare me.  It's not funny how people's emotions play such a role in who gets elected here...

</rant>

No comments:

Post a Comment