Saturday, April 23, 2011

Organic Game Creation

What makes a video-game fun?  Could it be that the construction process embeds itself within the gameplay?  A fun construction process yields a fun game.  A boring process yields more of the same (not that it isn't good, but not great).

For the past year, I've been trying to make games whose control scheme was easy.  Focusing on usability.  But that's not how I design games.  Design is such a harsh word filled with connotations which are negative in this discourse and my lines of reasoning, let's say "create".  If I were to paint a portrait, I would not design that much.  I would plan a general feel for the portrait, and let the portrait come to life through the process of adding lines.  Wouldn't it be silly to plan where the lines go and send it off to someone else?

The best games that I have created were the ones where I did not care about usability initially.  They were intended to be fun and challenge people.  Some were easy.  Others very difficult.  They each started as a sketch, an overall idea of how things were placed.  Then details got filled in gradually.  Adding features that I (egoistically) enjoyed, and removed others.

Like when I draw, I can never predict the final outcome of a game I create.  There is a sense of what it may look like, but the final version is always a surprise.  It took me at least a year to figure out this process which counters the current industry standard.

Now to push forward my prototypes and see which survive.  May the best be submitted to the App Store (and hopefully accepted) for all to enjoy.

I can not yet fully argue about process being reflected in gameplay, but I am more than certain now that it is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment