Sunday, November 15, 2009

First Impression of New Super Mario Bros. Wii

After playing the game until world 4; sometimes I feel this is a great game, other times I feel let down.  I'll start with what the game is, the move on to what's good about it, and leave with what could have been different.  Albeit, I'm sure my opinions will evolve as I continue playing the game.

This is a standard, 2D mario game with 4 simultaneous players who (theoretically) help each other through the levels.  It has everything that's expected, vibrant colourful scenery, a very short story line, goombas, paragoombas, spineys, koopa kids, ghost houses, multi-colored Yoshis, and anything else that has been seen over the years.

The good part - it's Mario's standard tried-tested-true formula.  The levels are designed to reward curiosity (see a block?  what if I hit the block?  what's in that tunnel up there?  can I go to the top of the level?)...  The levels, generally, feel fresh - they have oversized obstacles, gears sending the player every which way, spinning cubes, spinning secret pipes, etc.  The backgrounds look great; and the visuals are excellent (too much flare would have distracted from the game-play; and the screen can get quite busy with enemies which makes the clarity greatly appreciated).  Also certain underground levels are only lit by light-emanating enemies or mario himself which adds a new challenge.  As well; the difficulty level has increased - or so it appears.

The bad is the ease at which I got to world 4.  I'm hoping that the coins will keep me busy; as well as finding any hidden levels.  Fortunately; this game already is more challenging that the DS iteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment