Monday, September 15, 2014

Ads within Blogger

Being the good capitalist, I thought to myself, why not have ads at the bottom of the page?  if what the reader reads is interesting, and they read it in totality, I doubt that they'd mind a simple little ad at the bottom of the page.

So it began, going through the simple few clicks to request the permission to put ads on this blog.  Things went as smooth as butter, I must admit.  Within a day it was approved!  All that was left was to agree to the TOS and finalize what would be presented and how.

As you may notice, there are no ads at the bottom.  The TOS has a new frightening set of clauses that I have not yet encountered before.  That of various clauses surviving indefinitely even after use of the service terminates.

Typically, I would see a timeframe on the survival, a few years at most.  And that is on NDAs that I've signed with previous employers.

It may be argued that the ads service is different - that it does offer a way to interact with various entities where abuse would lead to extra money for whoever benefits from placing the ad.  Sure.

However, everything is becoming a service.  Look at Photoshop - you just rent it.  Same for the developer tools from Apple.  Many things that you used to indefinitely license for a single large sum are being rented on a monthly basis.

MMOs, one of gamings rented games, can be abused like Google ads to make money.  These games typically have local economies and some people will pay real money for what others picked up over long periods of play.  Farming for gold pops to mind.  Should a video game have a contract with clauses that indefinitely survive termination?

For legal purposes, it is easy to assume that anything that is done over the Internet is logged.  Every conversation, every photo.  Be it by the state (see the NSA insanity) or by individual providers (wasn't it reddit that said they can't resist handing logs to suits?)...  of course this survival is used to ensure that if something sketchy appears after termination, it can be caught and dealt with.

But back to the issue - can the survival of termination be abused?  Could it ever become a boon years down the road as companies go back to these old contracts and try to find any reason to extract funds from old users?  I'm not implying any company would do this, but the door could very well be opened at some point.

Or so I believe.  Reading these myriad of software EULAs and TOS just bore me to death.  And given I'm not a lawyer, I'm sure I've misread a few as I sometimes read clauses multiple times to understand an English that, since it leaves no room to interpretation, can be quite dense.

But typically these end. Mor can be terminated if I got the gist wrong during the first reading.  This one doesn't forgive.

On a side-note, I can completely understand why no-one reads these things.  They are long, and typically can be summarized as "we are not responsible for anything (nor have any obligation towards you), you are responsible.  Oh, and give us money if it's a paid service!"...

No comments:

Post a Comment