Sunday, December 14, 2014

Social Assumptions Regarding Blogs

Often times the obvious just hits me.  Years later.  The obvious, this time, is the social encoding found within blogs.  There is a codified set of assumptions based upon how people will consume content which determine what content creators can do.

Yes.  Painfully obvious, isn't it.  Also, nefarious.

My latest project on this platform has been a short story.  Each post continues on the previous.  I find the exercise to be quite entertaining as it forces me to consider different types of scenarios and also my mind gets bored by the mundane and usual so I've allowed myself to come up with the atypical.  The latest, for example, is a spiral escalator.

Blogger enforces that newer posts appear first.  Is there a problem with that?  Inherently no.  Most blogs follow the right template.  New stuff is awesome, old stuff just gets stuck behind.  For example, product reviews thrive on the new.  Events thrive on the new.  Even documenting technology or how to do something can thrive on the new.

Of course, you could argue that if something isn't new and worthwhile, it will be linked to a million times voer and Google will provide an link to it.  Sure.

Now, the core of the issue - everything is independent.  There is no prescribed reading order.  People just are supposed to jump in at any given point in time and be able to pick up on the information.  What if I want to describe something complex in a linear format over severall posts?  Then I'd have to fight the digital system (as others have) to ensure that posts appear in te desired order, and that the front page would always be the first post.

Or, I could stop being lazy and could include small summaries of the story with each post.  It's all about the person reading the material - after all it's not as though they are starved for content/entertainment.  Even though I'd like whoever (if anyone) who reads that blog to read it in order, I should make it convenient to read from whenever.

That is if I cared about readers.  To me it's a nice platform to simply write.

Discouraging how I've turned around and through a royal meh and passively accepted my fate as a person writing using this service.  (probably since it's free and I don't feel like moving it anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment