Thursday, December 7, 2006

Purchasing with Morals

Yesterday I went to buy a small stuffed toy as a gift. Now, the toy was a sports team mascot. I looked at the back "made in China" was inscribed. Then the price "$19.00"; and this is not an enourmous toy. Toys of this size normally go for $10.00 when new, and $5.00 when on sale. The handy-work was ok, but the materials seemed worn out on some. Also, some noses were quite crooked... I picked the best one; knowing that the receiver would be happy.

Well, now, where did the additional $10.00 come from? My best hope is that it went to the factory workers; but what if it was just some insane overhead in licensing. If it weren't for Christmas, I'd get one easily in a yard sale next year for $1.00.

Anyhow; this comes up to something on Digg (and slashdot) -- immoral companies. Now, they referred to music which I don't buy since I have no clue how a music CD can cost as much as a new DVD. One provides audio, the other typically includes expensive computer animation, audio, voice acting, etc. Crappy DVD? Not really, I don't find "The Matrix" to be crappy.

But that's going off topic... the real question is how do you punish a company that has a life-time monopoly on media that you like. But it has to be punished since it's unethical in its behaviour. I know Universal has the worlds worst customer support having dealt with them myself; but still consume from them since some people can't see beyond the product to the corporation. If there is a monopoly on something intellectual such as a plot, a character, then how do you punish a company that abuses such a monopoly?

I don't want to go screaming boycott, or blatant name calling; just want to know what the solution to this is. I have more to say, but that's for later. To further muddle up the issue with good companies living in fear. I'm viewing the problem in terms of "Organizational Behaviour" (a class I took in College) -- that is, that organizations have a personality, are moral, have habits. When hiring, they bring in people that identify to the core personality and morals. Anyhow, later, until I write too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment